Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why I'm going to the Reason Rally

On the 24th of March 2012, there will be the biggest event of secular people in America at the Reason Rally.
It will also be my 41st birthday :)

It took me time to decide if I will be a good birthday present to spend a full day standing in Washington DC with tens of thousands of people!
But when I saw the amazing list of speaker that will express their view for a secular (and hopefully a secular world), and felt the great spirit of the people that will gather there, my choice was made: I will spend my birthday with a HUGE bunch of friends :)

I thought a lot about what I could say to the people I'll meet there. The main question I want to ask Richard Dawkins, Sean Faircloth and other: What can we do, all of us here on Washington ground, to make this world a better place, a place with more reason?

My personal answer: Religion appeals to the emotional brain, the current US election are not driven by reasonable pros and cons but by pure emotional content. Emotions cannot be the driving force of the rules of our society. We need to bring back the debate to our reasonable brain.
Now, talking rationally to an emotionally American Christian extremist is completely useless. We need to talk about the amazing emotions of our rational life.
I personally feel extremely good when my reason, my logical analysis of the world match my emotions. Being reasonably emotional is an amazing feeling. It is way stronger than the "intellectual dishonesty" that religious people needs to have to keep their faith alive.

We need to show the world about how the emotions of reason are way stronger, easier to express and more stable than the irrational beliefs.

Basically if we can show the world that being reasonably emotional is a better way of life, we will make this world a better place.

Hope I'll meet a lot of these guys there, and, if you are undecided, join me to the reason rally!

No comments: